This wooden cash register was donated to the museum in 1976 by Carlton and Rosalie Force.
But long before it held the money a young Carlton received for selling milk at Sylvia Lake, it was Edward Hampton's cash box at E. M. Hampton and Sons Monumental Works and Crystal Ice Company, a coal and ice business.
Edward M. Hampton, Carlton's grandfather, purchased the Gouverneur Marble Company from Morris A. Eckman in 1930 and operated it until 1936 when it was sold to the Jones Cut Stone Company, the last marble business to operate in this former marble center. The cash register stayed in the family.
From 1918 to 1930, Charles Force, brother to Leon and uncle to Carlton, leased and operated the Sylvia Lake Hotel. In 1930, he bought the hotel and rebuilt the dance hall that had caved in due to the winter snows. Carlton has spent his life at Sylvia Lake and continues to love it today.
If you visit Sylvia Lake Online and use "Force" as the keyword in a site search, the results will confirm that from his milk delivery days until now, Carlton Force and his family continue to be one of the Sylvia Lake community's historic families.
Visit Sylvia Lake Online
Carlton Force poses with the cash register he used as a boy when he delivered milk to Sylvia Lake campers.