|By 1886, the Reading Room had become a circulating library. In 1895, Judge James Smith, a former resident of Gouverneur, purchased the Sheldon property for $3,500.00, and presented it to the Association. In 1900, Newton Aldrich gave $5,000.00 to the building committee and the present building (made of Gouverneur marble) was completed by local contractor, Henry Post. (builder of the Museum and depot)
Many improvements have been made in the library and its services. But the Gouverneur Library is still in the original building. The website states: "Additional rooms were added in 1953 and 1970 and a
handicapped ramp and lift in 1995.
There are currently six public access computers with Internet access, a
photocopier, fax machine, scanner, microfilm reader/printer, TV, VCR and DVD
player for public use. The community room is available for group meetings.
The library circulates videotapes, DVDs and books on cassette and CD, as well
as books and magazines. Many varied programs are held throughout the year for
children and adults."
Visit the Gouverneur Library online...