The Hon. Edwin Dodge (1801 - 1877)
was born in Kent, Ct., in 1801, moving to Northern NY at an early age with his family. In 1829, Gouverneur Morris, engaged the young attorney to be his agent in charge of large land tracts in St. Lawrence County and he moved to Gouverneur with his wife.
Mr. Dodge became one of the leading figures in Gouverneur's history. In 1830 he was appointed Postmaster and held that office for 19 years. In 1832 he was elected a Member of the Assembly and in 1845, he was appointed a Side Judge of the Common Pleas for a term of two years. Under the New State Constitution of 1846, he was elected the First County Judge of St. Lawrence County, holding the office until 1855.
Dodge was also one of the First Trustees, of Gouverneur upon its incorporation as a Village in 1850. an original Trustee of Riverside Cemetery, a Trustee of the Gouverneur Seminary, and one of the incorporators of the Water Works Company. He was largely instrumental in organizing and organizing and financing the Potsdam and Watertown Railroad, of which he was the First President.