Home About Gallery Links Events Contact Us
Museum Shop Site Search
 
-
The Music Room is located on the first floor, in a round room that once may have served as a reception room when the house was the Presbyterian Manse. The player piano dominates the small space, but the room might well be referred to as the "audio room" because of the variety of radio and phonograph players on display.

The room bears a striking resemblance to the store owned by A.K. Storie and son, who had a radio business on John Street, which opened in 1912. Harold was the Town Historian and Curator of the museum 1974 when it opened. He and his father had been innovators and entrepreneurs in the early days of radio and the Music Room holds some rare and interesting "audio" tools.

goLearn more about the FaDa radio, with the 13" Music Master speaker horn...

New to the Music Room (June, 2012) is the addition of an automated motor for the Beckwith Player Piano. The piano was donated by composer William Sudds.

Click the video below to see the player piano in action...

The latest instrument added to the Museum's Music Room (May, 2012) is this beautiful La Tosca Piano Key Accordion.

Click to learn more...

  accordion
storie store musicupClick the items in the photos for a closer look.down

This is a snapshot of the radio shop owned by A.K. Storie and Son. It looks a lot like today's Museum Music Room, at right. Pictured in the photo are Ray and Victor Woodworth.

Harold Storie was the first curator of the Museum (in what had been the Presbyterian "Manse.") in his role as Town Historian. The keys to the Manse were presented to Harold Storie on November 7, 1974. At this time, the Village Historian was Nelson Winters. The President of the Historical Association was Eugenia Huntress.

The goal of the Association was "Museum by '76." Fundraising and the acquisition of this beautiful building were milestones toward that goal.

music side
goRead the story of the museum opening on the front page of a 1974 Tribune Press.adobe
player piano
Harold Storie
The Beckwith Player Piano - Donated by William Sudds Harold Storie - in the 1970's

Twenty-Five Years Ago:

A number of radio outlets have been installed in this village, but one of the most interesting is that found in the home of Harold Storie, which has been constructed almost entirely at home through the ingenuity of Mr. Storie, who himself constructed the homemade outfit, purchasing, of course, the necessary phones, vacuum tube, bolts and wire. He has successfully received from the Pittsburgh and Newark broadcasting stations, whenever conditions were favorable for wireless work.

storrie

The vario-condensers were made of ice cream cartons, the plates of condenser of an aluminum pail, and the rheostat from a piece of the heating element of an electric heater. Old storage battery jars, sheet aluminum and battery vent caps were also used.

This original news article (transcribed above) is fastened to the back of the photo of Harold Storie and his radio.

-Harold Storie at his homemade radio.

-

model boat

The Steamer Oswegatchie

This model is of the last commercial boat to operate on Black Lake from Rossie to Heuvelton. Built at Rossie by A.K. Storie in 1908.

It sank during a high wind in 1908. The model was built around 1950 and donated to the museum by Harold Storie.

go Learn more about Harold Storie's connection to this boat and its fate.
Foyer Living Room Music Room Dining Room Meeting Room Out Building
Military Room Children's Room Bedroom Women's Room Research Cellar
Room Tour
steamer